Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Over the Edge

Ok, well before I just paste what I have already written, let me explain what I am about to paste. For our lit/comp class, we were told to write a six second story. Basically our (amazing) teacher, Mrs. Mills,  wanted us to write two pages about an event happening within the time of six seconds. Not so easy! Although it isn't easy, it's actually pretty fun. We had to choose our own six second situation and to make it last two pages, we had to write down the thoughts, the feelings and the actions of the main character. Well here is mine. :)


Over the Edge


Speeding, rushing, knowing I was running late. It became that moment I had

quickly realized what I saw wasn’t a dream. It all seemed so blurry and everything

happened so quickly; too quickly. In front of my jerky car sped another straight

towards me unable to stop. The driver had panicked looks smeared across his

ghostly pale face as they bumped up the road. It became obvious one of us had to go.

The child contently seated in the car seat seemed oblivious to everything and

everyone except his new transforming toy he continued to tinker with. He didn’t

know what was happening, he couldn’t know, and I didn’t want him to know. I

hardly knew. Too many thoughts had just raced through my head. It seemed that for

a second my hands became paralyzed and I was unable to steer the car. In front of

me I had just realized that behind the wheel of the dirt covered minivan were faces

and expressions that couldn’t be put into words. So it just hit me that the next choice

I was forced to make was life or death.

All those thoughts soared through my mind and only one second crawled by.

I wasn’t able to give my son any calm notice; there wasn’t time. Not even to turn

around. But I could scream. No, I shouldn’t. It would scare him. Unwillingly, I

shrieked out his name and his head shot up throwing back his long blonde mane.

Immediately, another second flew by. The thought of where we were speeding

became drowned within all the new feelings that flashed back and forth. It became

clear that a big squished-in family were about to drive themselves over a cliff, but

maybe they didn’t have to. Inside my car sat my son, only six years old, and me. I had

a chance to save a family, but at the same time I would have to sacrifice two very

valuable things, my life, and the life I created. He was too young. So innocent. Has

this type of thing happened on TV before? Sure. Like my favorite show. Wait, was

this was real life? I had to make my mind up fast. But I suddenly knew what I had to

do. I knew in just a couple more seconds I would be where I wouldn’t want to leave,

a place I could live happily with my child, and a place I would meet my family once

again. It wasn’t over.

It was the fastest decision I had ever made. With my hands still feeling paralyzed,

I quickly jerked the steering wheel off to the side and couldn’t let go. My wet hands

felt glued to the leather. Turning off the side of the cliff, our car blocked out and

stopped the minivan of the poor terrorized family, but it didn’t stop us. I felt the

color in my face flush as we dropped. It was only three seconds ago that I was on my

way and running late to the funeral. The feeling came as soon as the front wheels left

the dirt road. It was far different from any roller coaster ride. Yet it was similar. I

didn’t have time to check on my son. No time to see is face again. I didn’t know if I

would want to. I could just imagine the pain in his intense blue eyes. And no time to

tell him I loved him. Well, at least not now.

My heart seemed to have stopped for a minute as a sharp shriek from the back

pierced my ears and my heart. In midair the thought came that my life was just

beginning. The shrubs at the bottom seemed so far away, but we were getting closer.

Maybe we would become heroes. Maybe no one would ever find out. Maybe we

would be forgotten and no one would know what happened to us. I knew we didn’t

have much time. The blackness of the surrounding leather slowly crept its way into

my vision. That became all I saw. There were only few seconds left to live, but that

didn’t matter. We were leaving the life of death and we were on our way to a place

where we would never have another worry in our lives again, all in just 3… 2… 1.




1 comment: